Movie Review: Brick Mansions


I am having this 100 movie challenge at the moment and I got slow. I started last October and Brick Mansion is my 41st movie. It was my brother who downloaded it and I actually don't have a plan in watching this. It's just that I don't have anything new downloaded so I gave it a try and I don't regret my decision.

Brick Mansion

In 2018, in a dystopian Detroit, abandoned brick mansions left from better times now house only the most dangerous criminals. Unable to control the crime, the police have constructed a colossal containment wall around this area to protect the rest of the city. For undercover cop Damien Collier (Paul Walker), every day is a battle against corruption. For ex-convict Lino (David Belle), every day is a fight to live an honest life. Their paths never should have crossed, but when drug kingpin Tremaine (RZA) kidnaps Lino’s girlfriend, Damien reluctantly accepts Lino's help and together they struggle to stop a sinister plot that involves a stolen bomb set to destroy the entire city. - Wikipedia

I did not thought of it as a dystopian movie until I finished watching and read Wikipedia. It's one of those unusual times that I watched the movie first without reading or visiting it's Wikipedia page first. My usual routine would be google some movies then check the Wikipedia page to have insights about it then I will download. Anyway, since I did not checked anything, I am also not aware that Paul Walker is in it and my brother told me it's actually his last movie before he met his death.

Okay, so now for the review.



The plot was simple. Lino wanted Tremaine to stop selling drugs in the Brick Mansions and Damien to revenged his father. It's simple, yet the scenes were very entertaining. The movie is easy to watch. I did not get confused which is why I always read a bit from Wikipedia before I watch the movies and surprisingly, Brick Mansions just kept on surprising me. I liked the idea of Brick Mansions. When I first read the title, I was actually expecting a kind of fantasy movie but I was obviously wrong. It turned out to be an action one, with Paul Walker in it.




The characters were all well played. I currently discovered that aside from cheesy romcom movies, I also love action ones.. and what I usually hate on action movies are the fact that there will always be that pretty, hot and sexy chick that the male protagonist have had past relationships, currently in a relationship with or you know, they would hook up. And i am telling you, there's a handful of movies I can tell you that has that exact plot. And Brick Mansions isn't one of them. Sure, there's Catalina Denis as Lola, who was actually Lino's ex and Tremaine used Lola to get to Lino by kidnapping her and Lino came for her but hell, It's still not the same as the other movies with what I mentioned above. Lola and Lino's relationship is one of the background and it's kinda sweet but it did not overpower the main story.

And I really, really, really did not expect the plot twist. When I was done, I thought of Now You See Me not because it has the same twist but because like Now You See Me, I did not really expected or thought that the end could be like that.And that's one things. I want the movie to challenge my a little bit creative mind. And when they do, I want them to blow my mind.




As you can see, this is one of the most exciting part and one of the most memorable one in the movie. The tables were turned and you can watch the movie itself to know why this happened.

There's also a dedication at the end since Paul Walker unfortunately met with fate.


Rating: 5 out of 5.

Seriously. I liked everything about this. How Lino is good with parkour, how Paul Walker looked hot in his cop uniform and how Tremaine is very classy in his clothes and that he cooks.

0 comments