Movie Review: Pretty Woman.


First, let me give you a warning that this will be a very long post. Haha. This movie caught my heart so damn much and I will be telling you why in so many ways.


Pretty Woman

In this modern update on Cinderella, a prostitute and a wealthy businessman fall hard for one another, forming an unlikely pair. While on a business trip in L.A., Edward (Richard Gere), who makes a living buying and breaking up companies, picks up a hooker, Vivian (Julia Roberts), on a lark. After Edward hires Vivian to stay with him for the weekend, the two get closer, only to discover there are significant hurdles to overcome as they try to bridge the gap between their very different worlds. - Wikipedia

I have been hearing of this on different movies, word of the mouth and other people who uses Pretty Woman as a citation and how it is a classic but I did not really have the slightest urge to watch it in the near future. It was a movie made when I was just in my mother's womb and I don't have any expectation from it when I decided two days ago to check it out so I downloaded it.


Once I saw Julia Robert's outfit in here, I was shocked for the fact that it was a movie release in 1990 and that this is kinda revealing, thinking that something like this, even this day of age isn't necessarily "accepted" easily. But hey, she's a hooker so why not really dress for that part?

"Hey Sugar, you looki'n for a date?"

I really really find Richard Gere cute in here. Like it was the first time he had seen a hooker or something. Lol. I also liked the part wherein the Rich guy did not even looked displeased even for a moment that some hooker came into him. They even agreed on something far from any sexula act and that is for a direction.


He even let her drive his lawyer's car because she seemed really interested and knowledgeable about the car he doesn't know a thing about! They talked like civil people, no millionaire and hooker wall. Maybe this was realistic before, but now, I don't know. Lol.




I really really like Edward Lewis' character here. Very very gentleman and a very likeable character. This was the scene wherein he offered her to stay the night with him in a luxurious hotel. And he wasn't really thinking anything for her to "act" upon her job (or maybe in his subconscious mind but whatever) and when something happened to them it was nice.


Vivian: Hi.
Edward: Well, Good Morning.
Vivian: Red (Points to her hair, chuckles)
Edward: Better (Smile and nods)


Edward: I took the liberty of ordering for you everything on the menu. 
I didn't know what you'd like. All right? Good.
Vivian: (Gets a crossini)
Edward: Did you sleep well?
Vivian: Yeah. Good. I forgot where I was.
Edward: Occupational hazard?
Vivian: (Chuckles) Yeah. Did you sleep?
Edward: Ah, yes. A little on the couch. I was uh, working last night.
Vivian: You don't sleep, you don't do drugs, you don't drink, hardly eat.
What do you do, Edward? Now I know you're not a lawyer.
Edward: (Chuckles)



The scenes before this one broke my heart, and I almost despised Barney here. I thought he's one of those judgemental people who would be one of the antagonist in Vivian's life but I was wrong!

Barney: I would also encourage you to dress, a little more appropriately. That would be all..
Vivian: No. No, that's not all. That was I was trying to do. 
I tried to go, get a dress on Rodeo Drive today and the women wouldn't help me.
I have all these money now, and no dress. I expect you to help me with all of these, okay?
I have to buy a dress. For dinner. Tonight. And. Nobody. Will. Help me.
Barney: (Gives Vivian his handkerchief, gave back her money and called someone
who can really help her)


Barney even taught her a thing or two about etiquette and how the knives and fork's uses and it is kind cute! He gave Vivian a time for this.




Barney: Good Evening Mr. Lewis. I am Mr. Thompson. I am the manager of the hotel.
Edward: Excuse me, I just wanna make one call.
Barney: Yes, Sir. I have a message for you Sir.
Edward: From who? (Started dialing)
Barney: From your niece, Sir.
Edward: My what? (Puts down the phone)
Barney: The young lady who's staying with you in your room, Sir.
Edward: (Smiled) I think we both know that she is not my niece. 
Barney: Of course.
Edward: The reason I know that is that I am an only child.
Barney: Yes, Sir.
Edward: What's the message?
Barney: She's waiting for you at the Longue.

This is honestly one of my most fave scene here. It was hilarious! 




Edward: Wake up! Time to shop! (Gives out the card) 
Now, if you have any trouble using this card, have them call the hotel. Alright?
Vivian: (Gets the card) More shopping.
Edward: Hmm? I'm surprised you didn't buy more than one dress yesterday.
Vivian: It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. 
Edward: Why not?
Vivian: They were mean to me. 
Edward: Mean to you?
Vivian: (Silently nods)


Vivian: People are looking at me.
Edward: They are not looking at you. They are looking at me.
Vivian: Stores are not nice to people. I don't like it.
Edward: Stores are never nice to people. They are nice to credit cards.

And this, ladies and gentleman, where Richard Gere really caught my heart. And I mean, ugh! I am so inlove with his character and his ideas!

I'll stop the screenshots in here because I already posted too much spoiler for everyone who haven't watched it yet (and I recommend you to watch this, please!) and my PRETTY WOMAN fever hadn't left me yet. I love the fact how this plot is already used a lot nowadays and I have read a lot like this one but they executed the scenes and sequencing of events very good. I feel like I was in a different dimension while watching this. Like, this is all; new to me. I am really amazed how this movie came all over.

The only thing that I wasn't very happy was Vivian being so over sensitive being called or feeling like Edward's making her feel she's just a hooker. Occupational hazard, girl! Edward treated her nice from the start, she should have thought that before jumping into conclusions and everything.

I really hate Edward's lawyer. I thought he's a nice guy, but he's the bad guy. Ugh! I don't even wanna talk about him.

The ending was obviously a happy ending one. It's so simple yet everything seemed symbolic. Just like the necklace and how Barney incorporated it to Vivian. I have so many feels watching this specially knowing that this movie is same age as mine. Lol. I was born in 1990 and we're the same age technically.


Alright, I broke my promise. Here's another one screenshot.

This is one of the few "skinship" that was seen in the movie aside from being touchy whenever they go out or something. I was thinking that this scene meant their relationship as companions really leaped and it's where they really started thought of their self romantically. They are very intimate in here not just physically, but as well as how Edward opened up to her like he really trusts her.

Rating: 4 out of 5 because Vivian's over sensitivity annoyed me a few times.

Have you watched PRETTY WOMAN too? What can you say about it? Share it below! :)

0 comments